Jessica Denning – Bob Saunders – jessica[@]denningfamily.com
Location: California State Capitol -North Steps-
#SeedFreedomRally To express concerns to policy makers and the media, concerning the 2014 revisions to the CA Seed Law contained in AB 2470:
AB 2470 PROVISIONS SUMMARIZED:
– For purposes of seed packaging and labeling requirements contained in the California Seed Law, AB 2470 defines “neighbor” as a person who lives within 3 miles of another.
– AB-2470 makes it illegal for a farmer or person to sell, barter, trade or exchange seeds beyond 3 miles from their farm or garden, without being subject to seed labeling requirements.
– AB-2470 makes non-commercial seed exchanges illegal, such as those occurring through seed libraries and swap meets, due to the 3 mile restriction.
– AB-2470 prohibits a city, county or district from enacting and enforcing an ordinance regulating plants, crops or seeds without prior consent by the Secretary of the California Department of Food and Agriculture.
– AB-2470 limits the rights of local government leaders, and the citizens that elect them, from making decisions on what can and cannot be grown in their regions, resulting in a threat to biodiversity, food security and sustainable agriculture.
– AB-2470 redefines “person” to include “corporations” for purposes of the California Seed Law. Including “corporation” within the definition of “person” risks imposing corporate rule on agricultural seed, man’s oldest artifact.
To provide the best experiences, we use technologies like cookies to store and/or access device information. Consenting to these technologies will allow us to process data such as browsing behavior or unique IDs on this site. Not consenting or withdrawing consent, may adversely affect certain features and functions.
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.