Join the Global Movement for Seed Freedom in a Fortnight of Action from the 2-16 October 2012
Global Movement for Seed Freedom and the Fortnight of Action – 2-16 October 2012
Many of us have created contemporary movements to respond to the seed emergency. The global campaign on Seed Freedom intends to give strength to these existing movements. It aims to ‘connect the dots’ of the many voices around the globe to add strength to the movement to keep seed free.
From 2nd October (Gandhi’s Birth Anniversary), to 16th October (World Food Day) we are planning intensive actions to create a global citizens’ response on the issue of Seed Freedom that we hope will act as a wake up call for citizens and governments. Gandhi had said, “as long as the superstition that unjust laws must be obeyed exist, so will slavery exist”. Humanity and diverse species on the Earth are being pushed into a new form of seed slavery. In the spirit of Gandhi, we therefore call for a civil disobedience against unjust laws. Below, we outline a number of ideas for actions that we emphasize are only a starting point. We look forward to planning common strategies and actions together as the campaign for Seed Freedom becomes stronger and louder.
Two documents that provide an in-depth understanding of the seed issue are:
Read and sign the Declaration on Seed Freedom
Example Actions for the Seed Freedom Fortnight of Action
– Please register: http://seedfreedom.in/events/community/add and submit details of your planned events and actions to Fortnight of Action Calendar: http://seedfreedom.in/events/category/fortnight-of-action/
– Join the Global Alliance for Seed Freedom – sign the Declaration on Seed Freedom: http://seedfreedom.in/declaration/ (English – other languages to follow).
– Invite others to join and sign the Declaration.
– Start a seed bank – save your own non GMO/patented seeds:
– Organise local swaps of non GMO/patented seeds.
– Organise a ‘Seed Bombing’ event – Google!
– Become a seed defender: http://seedfreedom.in/act/become-a-seed-defender/
– Declare a Seed Freedom Zone within your home, institution, village or municipality, which does not recognise patent on seed:
– Organise a screening of the Seeds of Freedom film: http://seedsoffreedom.info/support-us/hold-a-screening/ (English, French, Spanish, Portuguese only, looking for other translations and translators)
– HOLD A SCREENING FOR THE SEED FREEDOM FORTNIGHT, 2-16 OCTOBER 2012: http://seedsoffreedom.info/take-action/hold-a-screening/ and add this as an event to our Fortnight calendar: http://seedfreedom.in/events/community/add
A landmark film from The Gaia Foundation and the African Biodiversity Network, narrated by Jeremy Irons. Find out more at http://seedsoffreedom.info/.
The story of seed has become one of loss, control, dependence and debt.
It’s been written by those who want to make vast profit from our food system, no matter what the true cost. It’s time to change the story.
Produced by The Gaia Foundation and the African Biodiversity Network, in collaboration with MELCA Ethiopia, Navdanya International and GRAIN.
Produced & Directed by Jess Phillimore
Camera – Jess Phillimore, Jason Taylor, Damian Prestidge
– Commit to buying fresh, local, organic non-GMO/processed food from farmers’ markets
– Commit to growing your own organic non GMO/patented food and encourage others to do the same
– Organise a dinner, lunch or picnic with your family, friends, community or institution sourcing ingredients from farmers who are saving and using organic seeds (non GMO/patented) creating awareness and understanding on the links between seed, food and health.
– Organise a workshop/conference, rally, march or gathering at offices of seed multinationals, patent offices and local government bodies, to create awareness about the links between Seed Freedom and food freedom.
– Write letters and submit petitions to local institutions, local communities and local municipalities to make them aware of the importance of Seed Freedom for the future of their people and their environment. Get their support to declare “Seed Freedom Zones”.
– Send a petition to your regional and national parliament to undo laws that violate seed freedom
– Write to Patent Offices insisting that they stop granting patents on see
– Write to WTO insisting the completion of the mandatory review of the TRIPS article 27.3b which forces patents on life forms. Ask them to revoke Intellectual Property Rights on seeds
– Write to President Obama insisting he stop using the White House to bully countries on behalf of Monsanto, destroying their seed sovereignty through GMOs and patents
– Contribute your art and your voice – post seed related photos, videos, artwork, articles and blogs to the Seed Freedom Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/savetheseed