Pavel Poc (S&D – Vice-Chair of the European Parliament’s Committee on Environment, Public Health and Food Safety)
Benedek Jávor (Greens & EFA – Vice-Chair of the European Parliament’s Committee on Environment, Public Health and Food Safety)
Marco Affronte (Greens & EFA – Member of the European Parliament’s Committee on Environment, Public Health and Food Safety)
Keynote: Hans Bruyninckx (Executive Director, European Environment Agency): The Need for a Systemic Solution for Climate Change and Nature Protection
Luc Bas (European Regional Director, IUCN)
Prof. Massimiliano Montini (Sienna University & Cambridge University C-EENRG Fellow)
MEP Sirpa Pietikäinen (EPP)
Mumta Ito (Founder of Nature’s Rights)
Jen Morgan (Systems Change Consultant)
Ecosystems and species are alive. Yet current law treats them as objects, property and resources. This has wide-reaching consequences that are driving the ongoing destruction of the biosphere.
Nature’s rights are a game-changing solution, bringing fundamental and systemic transformation to our legal and economic systems by re-characterising nature – ecosystems and species – as a subject of the law with legal personality and tangible rights that can be defended in court.
Enshrined in constitutional, national and local laws around the world and actively promoted by the UN Harmony with Nature Initiative, nature’s rights are the missing piece of the puzzle.
Come and explore:
- What are nature’s rights and why is it essential to take a rights-based approach now?
- Why is environmental law failing and how can it evolve to meet the challenges of our time?
- How are nature’s rights different from other environmental regulations or reform proposals (e.g. law of ecocide)?
- What does the European Citizens Initiative on the Rights of Nature propose?
- How does nature’s rights impact society and how can it solve the multiple crises we are facing?
- How can we transition our legal & economic systems so that they enhance rather than undermine the resilience of nature?
Lunch provided – vegetarian, organic.
Our European Citizens Initiative will need 1 million signatures across EU Member States. Help us make this campaign a huge success by making a donation today! Any amount, small or large, will take us one step closer to including rights of nature in EU law & policy.
VIDEO TEdX Talk: Nature’s Rights, Founder Mumta Ito
Webpage with more details: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/natures-rights-the-missing-piece-of-the-puzzle-tickets-32215978860
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1288839921184854/